Bark Canoes

The Gunaikurnai people settled in the Gippsland Lakes area some 18,000 years ago. They continue to have an active long term commitment to the conservation and management of the Gippsland Lakes. Of the Tatungoloong Clan, one of five East Gippsland clans to occupy the land and waters between the northern lake boundaries and the Ninety Mile Beach, the Binnejarra Boul Boul was a smaller family of the Tatungoloong clan and occupied Raymond Island. For thousands of years the bark canoes ferried people to the Island.

Pencil sketches of the local craft displayed at Krowathunkooloong Keeping Place

artist Michael Fox - Paynesville

Raymond Island was a popular hunting ground with an abundance of wildlife, fish, shellfish, plants and swans eggs. Evidence of indigenous involvement with the Island can be found today in shellfish middens, scarred trees used for canoes, food gathering implements and shields.

 Scarred gum from which canoe bark has been cut.

Scarred gum from which canoe bark has been cut.

Information gathered by Michael Fox - Paynesville

The Krowathunkooloong Keeping Place is a division of Gippsland and East Gippsland Aboriginal Cooperative (GEGAC) and provides cultural and tourism services to community organisations and local schools, with information about the Indigenous heritage and culture of the Gunaikurnai people of Gippsland.

The Krowathunkooloong Keeping Place provides an amazing insight into the indigenous history and Culture of this area, and is a highlight of any East Gippsland visit. The museum can be found at 37-53 Dalmahoy Street, Bairnsdale, Victoria 3875. Telephone 03 5152 1891